Love Island star Amber Gill’s Instagram followers are 65th fake, according to a study.
Amber presently has 535,000 followers on Instagram, a number that will certainly skyrocket when she leaves the villa.
But she may want to take some time to get rid of the spam.
According to research carried out by Instagram influencer marketing service Takumi, she had the highest percentage of fake followers when she entered the villa, along with new boy Jordan Hames who also has 65th fake followers.
Behind them are the recently dumped Joe Garratt (412,000 followers) and Yewande Biala (365,000 followers) both with 64th fake followers, and Michael Griffiths (478,000 followers) with 63 fake followers.
At the other end of the scale Maura Higgins has the lowest number, though almost half of her 322,000 followers are fake.
Takumi’s chief executive officer Adam Williams said: ‘The results of our analysis show the extent to which fraudulent activity can occur on Instagram. Yet influencers are still powerful marketing tools due to their ability to resonate deeply with their core audiences.
Results of the research:
- Amber Rose Gill (@amberrosegill): 535k followers – 65% fake followers.
- Jordan Hames (@jxrdanhames) – 34k followers – 65% fake followers.
- Joe Garratt (@josephgarratt): 412k followers 64% fake.
- Yewande Biala (@yewande_biala): 365k followers – 64% fake.
- Michael Griffiths (@mac_griffiths_): 478k followers 63% fake.
- Callum McLeod (@callum_macleod): 243k followers 62% fake.
- Tommy Fury (@tommytntfury): 971k followers – 60% fake.
- Danny Williams (@itsdannywilliams): 101k followers – 59% fake.
- Amy Hart (@amyhartxo): 447k followers – 59% fake.
- Elma Pazar (@elmapazar): 68k followers – 58% fake.
- Lucie Rose Donlan (@lucierosedonlan): 857k followers – 56% fake.
- Anna Vakili (@annavakili_): 495k followers – 53% fake.
- Molly Mae Hague (@mollymaehague): 701k followers – 53% fake.
- Anton Danyluk (@anton_danyluk): 342k followers – 52% fake.
- Curtis Pritchard (@curtispritchard12): 588k followers – 52% fake.
- Tom Walker (@tom9walker): 29.9k followers – 50% fake.
- Maura Higgins (@maurahiggins): 322k followers – 45% fake.
‘Brands should carefully think about who they work with and how they assess their worth. The size of someone’s social media following doesn’t necessarily equate to real
influence among consumers.’
Viewers recently saw Joe voted off the show, leaving his partner Lucie Donlan single.
He also claimed he had Lucie’s ‘best interests at heart’, and just wanted to make her experience ‘as wonderful as possible’.
‘I am young and inexperienced so maybe some things have come out differently to what they’re. I just hope people can see me for who I genuinely am and what I genuinely am. I’m not that person,’ he told The Sun.